INFORMATION WE COLLECT FROM YOU
NYIF directly collects information when you:
- register for a NYIF student account and create a NYIF student profile;
- purchase and participate in courses;
- send email messages to NYIF; and
- participate in public forums, webinars, and other interactive experiences on the NYIF Site.
NYIF also indirectly collects usage information about your visit to the NYIF Site, as explained in the section below titled Cookies Policy.
NYIF does not itself collect or store financial account numbers or identification issued by a governmental entity, employer, or other authority. Instead, if you choose to make a purchase on the NYIF Site you will be directed to NYIF’s third-party payment processor. If you do not wish to submit the required authentication or payment information, then you will not be able to purchase a course via the NYIF Site and/or participate in courses/classes.
NYIF requires your Personal Information when you:
- purchase a course (name, email address, billing address, telephone number)
- sign up for a NYIF student account (name, username, email address, education qualification);
- or other product or service (so that NYIF’s third-party vendor can process payment);
- participate in remote proctoring (NYIF’s online mastery examinations); or
- earn a certificate (both course completion/mastery certificate will have your first and last name on it).
To the extent that NYIF associates the information that NYIF collects directly or indirectly with an individual, the association is based on Personal Information in your account profile.
You may voluntarily choose to share additional Personal Information on the NYIF Site (Learning Management System), for example:
- in your NYIF account profile (you may display a limited or full profile to other NYIF Site students);
- when participating in a course, forum, webinar, or other interactive experience on the NYIF Site
- NYIF encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing additional Personal Information on the NYIF Site. (If you later choose to delete your NYIF account, deletion of your Personal Information will be subject to the process and limits outlined below.)
- based on your cookie settings, NYIF may track information indicating, among other things, which pages of the NYIF Site were visited, the order in which they were visited, when they were visited, and which hyperlinks and other user interface controls were used;
- NYIF may track and collect information from emails that NYIF sends to you, for example whether you opened the email or clicked on any links from the email.
You acknowledge and consent to the use of “cookies” in connection with your activity on the NYIF Site. These cookies are retained for as long as you are registered for the NYIF Site. Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer’s hard drive through your web browser when you visit and revisit the website. Cookies permit us and our service providers to track the pages you visit and the content you view and are necessary for the proper functioning of this website.
Although the information collected through cookies is not itself considered personal information, such information may enable us to relate your use of the website to other information we have collected about you, including personal information.
How to Disable Cookies
If you do not want us to be able to store cookies on your hard drive, your browser’s help section should be able to tell you how you can disable or filter cookies and how to arrange for your browser to tell you when you’ve been sent a new cookie. Disabling certain cookies may, however, limit your ability to use the NYIF Site or certain features of the Site.
HOW INFORMATION IS USED
NYIF uses information, including Personal Information, to carry out the following purposes:
- Creating and improving the delivery of courses and programs on NYIF.
- Enabling you to navigate the NYIF Site, to purchase courses and programs on the NYIF Site, and to learn effectively in such courses and programs.
- Tracking NYIF Site outages and creating software solutions, monitoring uses, misuses, and potential misuses of the NYIF Site.
- Answering your course and platform questions, notifying you of course and NYIF Site maintenance and updates, marketing to you about course offerings, programs, and related products and services, and as permitted under applicable law, sending you communications about products or services that may be of interest to you.
- Performing analytics to evaluate access to and performance in courses and course-related products and services and to understand usage information (not Personal Information)
- Responding to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; and investigating, preventing, or taking action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, security or technical issues, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of NYIF, and as otherwise required by applicable law.
NYIF may also seek your consent for additional uses of information, including Personal Information, and will use it only for the purpose described to you. All use of Personal Information is subject to applicable law.
HOW INFORMATION IS SHARED
NYIF shares information, including Personal Information, with third parties for the following purposes:
- With other learners in courses that you take to create an interactive learning environment, support class participation, and share course information – This includes sharing comments, coursework, or other information or content that you submit to a portion of the NYIF Site designed for viewing by other class members or for public communication.
MANAGE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You can manage your Personal Information through learner features on the NYIF Site and requests to the NYIF learner support team. NYIF will notify you in the event that NYIF is unable to meet a request that is not legally required.
Much of your Personal Information is available in your NYIF account. Your name, email address, and other identifiable profile information is editable through the profile settings in your NYIF account. Your account dashboard lists all current and archived courses that you have purchased. The dashboard also contains copies of your answers and other participation and performance in courses. Please contact NYIF customer support to access and update this or other information.
Usernames cannot ever be changed. This is a system restriction. Because usernames identify you in courses and elsewhere on the NYIF Site, we encourage you to use discretion in choosing your username.
If you want to manage emails and other communications to you follow the steps described in links at the bottom of email messages or contact NYIF customer support. You may object to, or request that NYIF stop its use of your Personal Information for other purposes by contacting the NYIF learner support team. Please note that if you choose to restrict NYIF’s ability to process Personal Information, and the processing is otherwise required to provide you with various services and products offered on the NYIF Site, you may not be able to establish a NYIF user account or purchase a course, and NYIF may not be able to provide you with those services or products.
To request deletion of your NYIF account and Personal Information, you should contact NYIF Customer Support. Because deletion on the NYIF system is a permanent action and cannot be reversed, NYIF will verify your identity to confirm your authority to manage the NYIF account affected by your request.
With respect to your NYIF account, NYIF will permanently:
- deactivate your NYIF account,
- remove the active profile,
- retire your username, and
- remove you from NYIF email lists.
Please note: Deletion of your account and personal data is permanent and cannot be undone. NYIF will not be able to recover your account or the data that is deleted. Once your account is deleted, you cannot use it to take courses on the NYIF Site. You may also lose access to certificates earned. Make sure to make a copy of these for your records before reaching out to NYIF customer service for deleting your account.
As noted above, to the extent that NYIF associates the information that NYIF collects directly or indirectly with an individual, the association is based on Personal Information in your NYIF account profile. By erasing the Personal Information in your NYIF account profile, the remaining information about your activity on the NYIF Site will no longer be associated with you.
- Deletion will not apply to historical activity logs or archives unless and until these logs and data naturally “age-off” the NYIF system.
- NYIF does not track or index every time or every place on the NYIF Site when or where a learner may volunteer Personal Information, so neither NYIF will be able to help you locate or manage all such instances. NYIF encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing your Personal Information on the NYIF Site.
- NYIF cannot always delete records of past interactions and transactions. For example, records relating to previous purchases on the NYIF Site must be retained for financial reporting, audit, and compliance reasons.
- NYIF will retain and use Personal Information as necessary to comply with its legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law.
NYIF will retain your Personal Information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with services; to maintain a record of your transactions for financial reporting, audit, and compliance purposes; and to comply with NYIF’s legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law.
STORAGE & SECURITY
NYIF stores information, including Personal Information, on its own servers and also on servers of companies that NYIF hires to provide services. In each case, information may be stored in the United States and in countries where NYIF service providers operate. If you are in the European Union, Switzerland, or other regions with laws governing data collection and use, you acknowledge that NYIF may transfer, process and store your personal information in the United States and other countries, the privacy laws of which may be considered less strict than those of your region.
NYIF uses administrative, physical, and technical safeguards that reasonably and appropriately protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the information that it collects, receives, stores, or transmits. Nonetheless, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure; and therefore, NYIF cannot guarantee its absolute security. While NYIF works hard to ensure the integrity and security of its network and systems, NYIF cannot guarantee that its security measures will prevent “hackers” or other unauthorized persons from illegally accessing or obtaining information.
If NYIF learns of a security breach involving its copy of your Personal Information, NYIF may attempt to notify you electronically so that you may take appropriate protective steps. If a security systems breach occurs, NYIF may post a notice on the NYIF homepage (https://www.nyif.com) or elsewhere on the NYIF Site and may send an email to you at the email address associated with your NYIF account.
If you have any privacy concerns or have disclosed information that you would prefer to keep private, or would like to access the Personal Information that NYIF maintains about you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.