"In 1921 it became evident that, for the sake of the business itself and for the sake of the thousands of young men and women employed by the (New York Stock) Exchange and by its member firms, some method should be devised whereby they might learn the fundamentals; the reasons why they did the things which occupied their working days…"
"This was the inspiration behind the establishment of the Stock Exchange Institute. The growth of this Institute has demonstrated that it fills a real need. Through Institute classes and lectures in New York, and through Correspondence Courses available to those at a distance, instruction is furnished in all important phases of the security business. Through these facilities, any young man or woman may, while working, obtain an education in finance and allied subjects."
The New York Institute of Finance (NYIF) was founded by the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in 1922 as the New York Stock Exchange Institute. In 1924, 205 NYSE employees graduated from the Institute. The following year, the Institute introduced the “Mock Market”, a trading simulation conducted on the floor of the Exchange, after trading hours. The simulation became an integral part of the one-year training program for new employees. By 1930 courses of the Institute were extended to employees of member firms of the Exchange.
The first record of the new name for the Institute, “The New York Institute of Finance,” appears in the minutes of the NYSE Board of Governors meeting, October 8, 1942.
Today NYIF is an independently held business, headquartered in New York, providing world-class training to professionals in the financial services and related industries. The Institute offers a vast array of courses ranging from introductory to advanced, as well as a number of professional designations that build careers through expertise. Each year the Institute delivers training to more than 50,000 individuals in over 125 countries. Some of the world’s leading financial institutions, central banks and regulatory bodies are clients of the Institute.