Mergers & Acquisitions - Concepts & Theories
Overview of the major facets of the Mergers & Acquisitions industry and the skills engaged in executing transactions from the deal's inception to post-merger integration.
CPE Credits: 14
This course is a component of the M&A Professional Certificate
- Proficient knowledge of financial analysis
Module 1: Mergers and Acquisitions Overview
- M&A market trends
- Why acquire?
- Key concepts
Module 2: Key Drivers of a Successful Acquisition
- What creates value in an acquisition?
- Why do some acquisitions fail?
- Academic research
- Can firms learn to acquire?
- Attractiveness of Target Companies
Module 3: Acquisition Structure
- Asset purchase
- Share purchase
- Acquisition accounting fundamentals
Module 4: Sequence of Events
- Initial negotiations to closing
Module 5: Documentation and Agreements
- Confidentiality agreement
- Letter of intent
- Stock purchase agreement
- Asset purchase agreement
- Fairness opinion
Module 1: Managing for Value Creation
- Key managerial success factors
- Merger planning - start at the top
Module 2: How Does the Integration Process Affect Value Creation?
- Pre merger planning
- Post merger planning
Module 3: Valuation
- Appraisal Principles
- Valuation Methods
Module 4: Financing the Acquisition
- Financing mix
- Methods of payment
Module 5: Anti-takeover Mechanisms
- Poison pills and other defensive measures
- Anti-trust Policies